Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Bittersweeet

Yesterday was such an emotional day for me. Over the weekend we lost one of our camp friends after an almost three year long battle in a coma (you can read more of his story at geocities.com/prayersforcody). I went to the funeral not really thinking through what to expect. Allie and I arrived about 45 mins early and got some of the last seats in the funeral chapel. We quickly decided to stand up and give our seats to someone who needed them more than we did. We stood in the back corner and waited as friends joined us. With still 30 mins to go before the funeral started "they" (whoever "they" were) had already come in and asked everyone to move together in hopes of finding more seats. By the time the funeral started both the chapel and the hallways/lobby/waiting areas were full and standing room only. It was a nice service. Lots of happy memories were shared by anyone who was willing to share. Lots of singing, even some laughing. Just the way Cody would have wanted it. Then we headed outside when everything had been said and done. I was amazed at the amount of people that were there. There were at least (if my count is correct) 20 of my Star Ranch family there. Amazing. It was so great to see old faces and share old stories. We had time to catch up while others were paying their respects to Cody and his family. We probably could have stood there all day (and might have if we hadn't all been so hungry!). It was so wonderful, yet so sad at the same time. It was great to see friends I hadn't seen in years yet so sad of the occasion that brought us all together. A few of us had missed the graveside service (from all that talking) and decided to get a bite to eat. No one wanted to make a decision (just like old times). We headed to a little local place around the corner and shared one of the best meals I've ever had. The food wasn't stellar but the meal was. I missed these six people (OK well 5...I see Allie everyday so I don't have a chance to miss her!). We laughed and shared stories and "remember when...s". If it hadn't been for the Polo shirts and dresses you would have sworn we were in the dining hall. I cherished every moment of that meal. As Allie and I drove home I thought about how blessed I am to have a second family. A group of people who will get together in times of celebration and in times of sorrow to love and support one another. Star Ranch has forever changed me in SO many more ways than I can ever know. I thought my "camp days" were over. Now I know...my days AT camp are over...my "camp days" will never be over. They live in our stories, our pictures, and in our hearts.

"Remember, Star Ranch and good times forever..."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I sooooo wish we were their. The service and all who attended were in our thoughts and our prayers through the weekend. The day of the funeral a beautiful new life was born into another star ranch family (rachel and michael) it was a nice thing to experience. the Lord took a wonderful soul and sent a new soul to fill this big earth. I miss you guys, I love you guys and I think about you all often.

Grateful for Grace said...

Well said, friend.
Well said.